Districts regularly need to administer assessments to pre-enrolled students for placement or as screeners for additional services. The most common example is Kindergarten Registration Screeners that utilize Interview assignments. Districts register incoming K students the Winter/Spring prior to their enrollment start in the next school year and need to assess and record the scores for each of these pre-enrolled students.
What You’ll Need
- Access to Homeroom and Classroom
- .CSV file containing student name and a unique ID number (SSID, Other ID, External Application ID or Student ID)
- Classroom Gradebook with Interview assignments
Create a Static Student Group
- Login to Homeroom and navigate to Student Groups.
- Click New Static Group to create a new student group for your pre-enrolled students.
- Enter a student group name and click Save. (Note: it may be necessary to make a student group for each of your schools.)
- Create a .CSV file that includes a student name column and an ID column containing SSID, Other ID, External Application ID or Student ID. (Note: Other ID may be the best option since some pre-enrolled students may not yet have an SSID assigned.)
- Navigate to My Student Groups and select your newly created static group.
- Click Actions and select Upload Students to this Group.
- Choose your .CSV file and click Upload.
- Now when you click on your student group, the list of pre-enrolled students should display. (Note: these students are considered inactive until the enrollment start date so no student data will be accessible and the student will not be found in the Lookup widget.)
Adding the Uploaded Student Group to a Gradebook
- Login to Classroom and navigate to your Gradebook.
- In your Gradebook, navigate to Settings >> Student Groups.
- Click Add Student Groups.
- Select your My Student Group containing the uploaded students and click Add Selected.
- Navigate to the Interview tab to begin administering Interview assignments. Your pre-enrolled students will be listed.
- Once testing is complete, you can view the student scores on the score tab.
- It is advised to click Actions and select Download Template to download a spreadsheet of the students’ scores. Since this is a new process for pre-enrolled students (who are not yet active students), it is best to have a file of student scores in case any issues occur with viewing the scores after summer rollover to the next school year.
This is great! Thanks!
Please sign in to leave a comment.