The ALE Library is accessed via a separate Librarian Role that must be added to users who need to access the system.
|Library Setup||Setting the Default Check In Date||Checking Out Items||Viewing and Renewing Check Out Copies|
|Adding Titles and Copies||Setting the Max Number of Items Per Person||Checking In Items||Printing the Checked Out Items Report|
Library Setup (Back to Quick Links)
The first step in adding library items is to create Media Types, Subjects, and Locations. Select Manage from the left-hand navigation menu, then choose Media Types. Next, click on Add Record.
Enter the name of the Media Type and click Add.
The same steps can be taken to create Subjects and Locations from the left navigation menu.
Once these records are created, they can be managed by clicking the Row Action & Options gear and selecting Edit or Delete.
Adding Titles and Copies (Back to Quick Links)
Once Media Types, Subjects, and Locations records have been created, then Titles can be added similarly. First, try a Simple Search for the Titles, Keywords, or Descriptions by entering it in the Search field, then click Set.
Advanced Searches with other information such as Title, Location, Identifier, Barcode, Author, Keywords, Subject, and Media Type may also be done.
A list of titles will be displayed. To return to the search, click Data Settings Form. To add a title, click Add Record.
- Title (Required)
- Author (Optional)
- Publisher (Optional)
- Identifier (Required), e.g. ISBN
- Keywords (Optional)
- Description (Optional)
- Components (Optional)
- Date Published (Optional) - Select from the calendar
- Media Type (Required) - Select the checkmark from the drop-down menu
- Subject (Required) - Select the checkmark from the drop-down menu
Adding any of the optional fields can be helpful for searches. Click Validate when finished.
Titles can be managed via the associated Row Action & Options gear to Edit, View History, Delete, or Clone.
In the Edit Record modal, individual copies of this title can be added using the Add Record button at the bottom.
This is where separate copies of the same title would be recorded and distinguished. Note: The Barcode will be entered/scanned when checking out. Click Validate when finished.
- Title (Required)
- Barcode (Optional)
- Cost (Optional)
- Condition (Optional)
- Status (Optional)
- Notes (Optional)
- Date Lost or Depleted (Optional)
- Source (Optional)
- Order Number (Optional)
- Location (Required)
These individual copies of the same title can be managed via the associated Row Action & Options gear to Edit, Delete, or Clone.
Once titles have been added, you can search the library collection using the Search in the left-hand navigation menu. This will display a table with all library titles that can be filtered for easy searching or the Data Settings Form (Simple/Advanced Search).
Setting the Default Check In Date (Back to Quick Links)
The Default Check In Date will automatically populate in the Due Date box when checking out or renewing an item in the library. You can change the date from the default when checking out or renewing an item from the pages for those actions if necessary.
You can set this default by selecting Manage from the left navigation menu, then choose Set Default Check In Date. Select a date, then click Set Default Check In Dateto save your changes.
Setting the Max Number of Items Per Person (Back to Quick Links)
The setting for Max Number of Items Per Person lets you set a number for the amount of items that individuals can have checked out from the library at one time. This can be set by selecting Manage under the left navigation menu, then choosing Max Number of Items Per Person. Fill in the number, then click Save.
Checking Out Items (Back to Quick Links)
Choose Check Out from the left-hand navigation menu to check out books for individual students.
- Person Type (Optional) - Select Student, Parent, or Teacher from the drop-down menu.
- Name (Required) - Select the checkmark next to the name.
- Due Date (Optional) This will autofill with the default date when setting up the Library. You have the option to select a different date.
- Barcodes (Required)
Once finished, click
- Check Out/Renew - This will tell the system to check out the items to the selected individual. NOTE: This will not give an error message if one or more entered barcodes are unavailable.
- Verify Availability - This will open a modal showing a list of the entered barcodes and their current status in the system. It will also state if a barcode does not currently exist in the system. Choose Yes, CheckOut, or click the “x” to close the modal and make any needed changes.
Checking In Items (Back to Quick Links)
Use the Check In option from the left-hand navigation menu to check multiple items simultaneously. This is where you would input or scan Barcodes (Required).
Once finished click
- Check In - This will check in any entered barcodes that currently have a checked out status.
- Verify Barcodes - This will open a modal showing the entered barcodes' status. Select Yes, Check In to check in any of the entered barcodes that have been checked out, or click “X” to close the modal and make any needed changes.
Viewing and Renewing Check Out Copies (Back to Quick Links)
Select Manage from the left-hand navigation menu and choose Checked Out Copies. Basic information for each item will be listed here, such as the name, barcode, check out date, due date, and the name of the person it was checked out to. These titles can be individually Checked in or Renewed via the associated Row Action & Options gear.
Clicking Renewed will open a new window that prompts you to select a new Due Date for the item.
Click Save. NOTE: If you select Save without selecting a date, the system will use the Default Check In Date chosen for your library system.
School staff can also view items checked out to a student on the Manage Student interface. Select All ALE Students in the left navigation menu, then view the Library Items Tab located at the far right or nested under the Details Tab, depending on your role.
Printing the Checked Out Items Report (Back to Quick Links)
Printing the Checked Out Items report
The Checked Out Items Report will generate a list of all the items currently checked out to a single person. This report is under the Page Action Gear on the Checked Out Copies page.
When selecting the report, you will be asked to choose either a student or guardian to generate the report. The report can only be generated for a single selected name at a time. Once a person has been selected, click the Set button to generate the report.