After Classes are set up in the ALE application, classes can be added to student schedules. Depending on how permissions are established, various roles can register students: parent, registrar and certificated teacher.
Adding a student to classes is done on a per student basis via the “Scheduled Classes” tab on the Student Learning Plan. This is located either along the top, or is nested under the “Subjects/Courses” dropdown.
There are two different calendar views. In the “period view,” time is divided by pre established class periods. This view allows for scheduling either by class term, day of the week or even class period.
In the “planner view,” classes can be scheduled by their exact start and end times, allowing for greater scheduling flexibility. In this view, classes are scheduled by class term.
In either view, upon clicking the “Enroll Button” users will see a list of available classes that are filtered to meet the criteria of the Student Learning Plan. There are two different enrollment methods which determine the criteria plans are filtered by:
- Method 1: Courses/Subjects are added to the SLP before parents register for classes and these determine which supplemental classes a student is eligible to register for.
- Method 2: Class registration determines which courses/subjects are added to the SLP and available classes are only filtered by grade level.
Icons next to each class provide additional information:
- The gray “i” or “Information” icon will open another window with specific information about each class, including the maximum number of students, grade levels, dates, location and teacher.
- A gray “+” sign (blue when hovered over) indicates that this class still has available seats and can be added to the student’s schedule.
- A red “+” sign indicates that although this class meets this student’s criteria for registration, that either
- No more open seats are available
- There is a scheduling conflict because the student is already enrolled in another class during that time period
To select classes to add to the student’s schedule, click the gray “+” icon next to any available class. Classes will be added to the “Your Selected Classes” list at the bottom of the screen:
After all desired classes are selected, click the blue “Add Classes” button in the top right corner. The student schedule will be displayed with the selected classes added.
Any classes that could not be added to the schedule will provide an error message with the reason for the error.
To un-enroll, or remove a class from a student schedule, simply click on the class itself, which will open the Class/Course Details Information Screen again, but an “Unenroll” button will appear at the top.
Click this to remove the student from the class.
Users with the Registrar role have the ability to override class enrollment restrictions and place students into classes:
- Outside of their Grade Level
- Bypassing class enrollment limits
- That do not match established subject/course criteria (for enrollment method 1 outlined above)
When clicking the “enroll” button, Registrars will by default, see available classes filtered to meet the criteria established by the enrollment method and Student Learning Plan:
Using the toggle button to flip to “All Classes” will display all available classes, regardless of the enrollment restrictions established.
Enrolling a Group of Students Directly Into a Class
Registrars also have the ability to select one or more students to enroll directly into a class via the “Students” tab in the Manage Class Interface. To navigate to this screen, click on “Classes/Courses” in the left nav, then “All Classes.” Filter and/or sort to find the class you would like to enroll students into, and click on the class title. Next, click on the “Students” tab.
If any students are already enrolled in the class or if they have been added to the waitlist, they will be listed in the table. You may enroll students directly into the class by clicking the “Add Students” button at the top right.
Choose one or more students in the resulting selector to add them into the class.
Remember that as registrar, you can override any set class enrollment limits, so this selector will return all students and will not enforce any limits (i.e. grade level, maximum enrollment limits or even conflicting classes on the student schedule.)
Registrars also have the ability to add students to the waitlist for an individual class via this interface. A predefined filter in the “Status” column shows only enrolled or waitlisted students by default. To find students not yet enrolled or on the waitlist, togle to the “Not enrolled” status.
From the resulting list, sort/filter to find the student you would like to add to the waiting list and using the row action gear, select “Add to waitlist.”
They will appear now by default on the “students” tab, along with the waitlist position.
*Although parents cannot yet request that students be added to a waitlist, this functionality will be introduced in a future release.