After Classes are set up in the ALE application, classes can be added to student schedules. Depending on how permissions are established, various roles can register students: parent, registrar, and certificated teacher.
Adding a student to classes is done per student via the Scheduled Classes tab on the Student Learning Plan. This is nested under the Classes drop-down menu.
There are two different calendar views. The Period View divides time by pre-established class periods. This view allows scheduling by class term, day of the week, or class period.
the Planner View, classes can be scheduled by their exact start and end times, allowing for greater flexibility. In this view, classes are scheduled by class term.
Click the Enroll button. Users will see a list of available classes that are filtered to meet the criteria of the Student Learning Plan. Two different enrollment methods determine the criteria plans are filtered by:
- Method 1: Courses/Subjects are added to the SLP before parents register for classes, and these determine which supplemental classes a student is eligible to register for.
- Method 2: Class registration determines which courses/subjects are added to the SLP, and available classes are only filtered by grade level.
Icons next to each class provide additional information:
- The gray “i” or Information icon will open another window with specific information about each class, including the maximum number of students, grade levels, dates, location, and teacher.
- A gray “+” sign (blue when hovered over) indicates that this class still has available seats and can be added to the student’s schedule.
- A red “+” sign indicates that although this class meets this student’s criteria for registration, either.
- No more open seats are available.
- There is a scheduling conflict because the student is already enrolled in another class during that time period.
To select classes to add to the student’s schedule, click the gray “+” icon next to any available class. Classes will be added to the Your Selected Classes list at the bottom of the screen:
After selecting all desired classes, click the blue Add Classes button in the top right corner. The student schedule will be displayed with the selected classes added.
Any classes that could not be added to the schedule will provide an error message with the reason for the error.
To un-enroll or remove a class from a student schedule, click on the class itself, which will open the Class/Course Details Information Screen again, but an Unenroll button will appear at the top. Click this to remove the student from the class.
Users with the Registrar role can override class enrollment restrictions and place students into classes:
- Outside of their Grade Level
- Bypassing class enrollment limits
- That do not match established subject/course criteria (for enrollment method 1 outlined above)
When clicking the Enroll button, Registrars will, by default, see available classes filtered to meet the criteria established by the enrollment method and Student Learning Plan:
The toggle button to flip to All Classes will display all available classes, regardless of the established enrollment restrictions.
Enrolling a Group of Students Directly Into a Class
Registrars can also select one or more students to enroll directly into a class via the Students Tab in the Manage Class Interface. To navigate to this screen, click on Classes/Courses in the left navigation, then All Classes. Filter and/or sort to find the class you want to enroll students into and click on the title. Next, click on the Students Tab.
If any students are already enrolled in the class or have been added to the waitlist, they will be listed in the table. You may enroll students directly into the class by clicking the Add Record button at the top right.
Choose one or more students in the resulting selector to add them to the class.
Remember that as registrar, you can override any set class enrollment limits, so this selector will return all students and not enforce any limits (i.e., grade level, maximum enrollment limits, or even conflicting classes on the student schedule.)
Registrars also can add students to the waitlist for an individual class via this interface. A predefined filter in the Status column shows only enrolled or waitlisted students by default. To find students not yet enrolled or on the waitlist, toggle to the Not Enrolled status.
From the resulting list, sort/filter to find the student you would like to add to the waiting list, and using the Row Action & Options gear, select Add to Waitlist.
They will appear now by default on the Students Tab and the Waitlist Position.
*Although parents cannot yet request that students be added to a waitlist, this functionality will be introduced in a future release.