ALE Application: Setting up Substitutes
You have a couple of different options for setting up Substitutes to use the ALE application while they are on campus:
- Create a couple of generic substitute accounts attached to email addresses that you maintain and assign for use when a sub is in your building - resetting the password each time it is used. This makes sense if you have a high number of subs who rotate through and they don’t often return.
- Create a user account for each individual who subs, attached to their own email address and make it active only when the individual is in the building. This makes sense if you have a small group of individuals who often sub for you.
Setting up Generic Substitute Accounts
Each account will need a unique email address associated with it. You could set something up on gmail as simple as email@example.com
You can submit a ticket to the SDS Help Desk, or email your Customer Service Representative to request that the accounts be generated in the Admin with a generic name associated such as “Teacher Substitute 1.” You could also create substitute accounts for the Support Staff Role and Secretary/Registar.
Once the account is set up and you have a substitute in your building you will take the following steps to grant them access to the system.
- Reset the password for the Sub Account you plan to assign. This step can be done in the Program Manager Role, on the “Manage User Accounts” page. Filter to find the account you are going to assign.
- Next use the row action gear at the far right to select “Set Password.”
- Follow the prompts to change the password to whatever you would like it to be for this individual for this use. You will give them the generic email address to use for login and whatever password you just created. Now the account is ready to go and you can proceed to the last section “Assigning User as a Substitute.”
- At the end of the individual’s time substituting, it is suggested that the password be changed to remove their access. You can either set it up for the next user, or change it to something generic that will be reset again when the next user needs the account.
Creating Unique Accounts for each Individual Substitute
You can submit a ticket to the SDS Help Desk, or email your Customer Service Representative to request that the accounts be generated in the Admin for each substitute who frequently returns to your building. You will need to submit their name and an email address for them when making the request.
Once the account is created, they will maintain their own password and the first time they use the account will need to go through the “Reset Your Password” process from your program login screen, utilizing the email address that was submitted to create their account.
- You will need to “activate” the individual’s account each time they are in your building. This step can be done in the Program Manager Role, on the “Manage User Accounts” page. Start by clicking the page action gear in the top right and selecting “Add Employee.”
- Next you will click “Select” next to employee and use the filters in the resulting table to locate the user whose account you would like to activate.
- Once the employee is selected, assign the roles they will need to access while in the building and click “ok.” Now the account is ready to go and you can proceed to the next section “Assigning User as a Substitute.”
- When the user has completed their substitute assignment, you will need to “deactivate” their account, or remove their roles in the ALE application. This step can be done in the Program Manager Role, on the “Manage User Accounts” page. Filter to find the account you are going to deactivate.
- Next use the row action gear at the far right to select “Edit.”
- Remove the check marks next to all assigned roles to deactivate their account.
Assigning User as a Substitute
Once the account is set up using either of the methods outlined above, you are ready to assign the user as a substitute for the staff member they are covering for. This can be done in the Secretary Role under “Substitutions” in the left navigation. In this example we are going to set up a substitute for a Certificated Teacher. Click “Add Substitution Record”
You will see the following modal where you can select the user who is absent, assign the substitute who will be covering for them, and set a start and end date.
Once all required selections are made, click “add.”
The assigned substitute will now have access to and see all of “my” classes, student learning plans, etc. for the individual they are substituting for.