Use if there is an existing list of students that is not a naturally forming group in Homeroom OR there isn't data that can be used to filter or form a 'Smart group'.
- Student's that come into the health room frequently
- Student's that are tracked in the counseling office
- A large group of students already identified in Homeroom that you want to make into multiple smaller groups
To start, you need:
A comma-separate value file (with the .CSV file extension) which contains only one column, whose header and data must MATCH EXACTLY with one of the following student identifiers:
- Other ID
- External Application ID (in Skyward this is the Internal ID)
- Student ID (this is their Homeroom ID, available in Data Admin, under Students)
- The file can come from Homeroom too. Use the download feature and select a student ID to download with it. Sort through students as needed, deleting or separating into additional files. Then, save the file(s) as a CSV.
Steps to create a brand new group with an upload file:
1. Once you are logged into Homeroom, go to the 'Student Groups' widget
2. From the 'My Student Groups' tab on the widget, select the button
3. Enter a meaningful name, and select 'Save'
(if you accidentally click 'Save & Edit' it will take to to where you can type in student names. Select the 'Back to Groups' button on the left to go to Step 4)
4. Highlight the group that is now listed on the left on the 'My Student Groups' tab
5. Select the 'Actions' dropdown on the right
6. Chose 'Upload Students to this Group'
7. In the dialog box, select Choose File. Locate your CSV file
8. Select Upload
9. You will receive a success message and be returned to the dialog box.
10. Either upload another list or select Cancel.
11. You will receive an email from Homeroom notifying you the list was processed and identifying any errors, similar to the one below.
12. Now the group has been populated with the students that were successfully uploaded and ready for you to use
Follow-up note: After the group is created and has students populated, you can upload to it again to add more students. However, removing students from the list needs to be done manually by using the Remove Students under the Actions menu. If there are many changes to the group, it may be easier to just upload to create a new group with the new list.
If you encounter problems or have questions, contact your district's Homeroom representative or submit a Help Desk ticket to email@example.com
[Updated: 01/07/15 prh]