This article covers the process of Assigning and Editing User Permissions in the ALE Application. All topics covered in this article can be completed while logged into the ALE Application. At the end of this article, there is a short Q&A with answers to a few common questions. You can find additional information on managing guardian accounts here.
Who can Assign and Edit User Permissions?
Only users with the Program Manager or the Secretary Role can edit user permissions in the ALE Application. If you have neither of these roles and need to have permissions changed, please contact your Program Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Manage ALE Users Page:
The Manage ALE Users page can be opened by clicking Manage ALE Users in the left-hand navigation in the Program Manager role or Manage ALE Users in the left-hand Navigation of the Secretary Role. This page is where you find all ALE users and Edit their Roles.
Editing Current ALE Users Roles:
An ALE user with active accounts can have their roles modified at any time. You can edit their roles by taking the following steps:
- Go to the “Manage ALE Users” page.
- Find the user on the table.
- Click “Edit” under the Row Actions & Options Gearbox.
- Click the checkbox to add or remove roles for the user.
- The blue checkbox means: give them the role.
- The white box means: take the role(s) away.
- Click the blue Ok.
You should receive a dropdown notification that displays “Successfully Added Person.” This indicates that the user’s roles were successfully updated.
If you receive a dropdown notification showing “There was a problem adding the person,” this indicates that something went wrong and the user’s roles were not updated.
Adding Users to ALE:
If a user doesn’t have any ALE roles, then they will not appear in the table. You can add a new user to ALE by:
- Go to the Manage ALE Users Page.
- Click Add Person, Add Employee, or Add Student under the Page Action gearbox, depending on the kind of user you’re adding:
- Add Person: Use this when adding a parent.
- Add Employee: Use this when adding an employee.
- Add Student: Use this when adding a student.
- Click the blue Select on the respective page to open up a person selector
- Click Filter Search Results, fill out search fields and click Set
- Select the Person(s) you want to add.
- Click Apply once you are finished selecting the users you want to add.
- Select the Roles you would like to give the selected users.
- Click ‘Ok’ once you are satisfied with the selected users and roles.
Why can't I find the user I’m looking for in the Add Person table?
This most commonly happens when the user’s record is not coming to the SDS System as active. Once a person is added or activated in the SIS, it can take up to 24 hours before they show as active the SDS applications. If you need to add a user and their account isn’t active, you can contact email@example.com for help activating the account.
Why can’t I remove the Certificated Teacher role from a user?
There is likely dependent data attached to the User with the role. All dependent data must first be removed before the role can be removed. You can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request the removal of dependant data, or deactivate the user using the deactivate Certificated Teacher feature.
How do I narrow down the list of people in the person selector?
After the Person selector is open, the list can be filtered by:
- Clicking the Table Actions and Options gearbox
- Clicking Filter on Match Conditions
- Entering information specific to the user you want to Add
- Clicking Set
Why isn’t there a Row Action & Options gearbox for some users?
The Row Actions and Options Gearbox is not available for users with the Student role.
How do I know if a user’s account is active?
On the Manage ALE Users table, there is a column called ‘Account is Active’. If this says Yes, then their account is active. It says No, then their account is not activated.